Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I Am A Luddite

Luddite.

Noun.

Definition: Any opponent of industrial change or innovation.

As many of you know, I am not a lover of technology. I don't understand how computers, cell phones, digital cameras, or iPads work. Heck, the telephone remains a mystery. It is all black magic to me. I usually get so frustrated by it I want to scream! Or cry as I have been known to do on occasion when I am writing report cards and do something silly and erase 12 hours of hard work.

Anyway, let me digress.

When we went to New York City in March, Joe bought me a second-hand netbook from a colleague of his. It was perfect for me. I could write blog posts, I could download photos, but more importantly I could use it. It was very simple. Just like me.

Two days before we were leaving for France, Joe hauled out the netbook to make sure it was working. And of course it wasn't. The keyboard was broken. There was no time to have it repaired. Joe, being the sweet husband that he is, came home the next night and surprised me with an iPad 2.

I was not familiar with the technology that is iPad. For those of you who are, you know how amazing these machines are. When Joe was showing me how it worked, my mouth hung open. Truly, the iPad operates by magic. Pure and utter magic.

I have discovered that iPads are fantastic for consuming information. E-mail, facebook, google, reading books on Kindle, using the millions of applications that are available. But we've discovered that it ain't so great for producing information. Case in point: my blog.

It has been a struggle to get everything up and running. Donwloading and attaching photos has been a nightmare. Joe has been working tirelessly on finding ways to make blogging easier for me. It hasn't been easy, that's for sure. And he knows what he's doing!

I am not thrilled with the way the blog is looking. I can't crop or edit the photos to my liking; the entire photo is not within the frame; the vertical photos are too big; the horizontal photos aren't big enough; I have to attach all the photos at the end of the text; waaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa.

This has been one heckuva steep learning curve.

So that, my friends, is that.

I am an affirmed Luddite.

Always have been, always will be.

4 comments:

  1. Nancy, I feel your pain. I can't even make the "simple" photo book from iphoto.
    It is still really great to get blog updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in interesting times indeed Nancy, with time patience and practice that piece of "technological magic" will become what it has for our family.... A breathing apparatus. We are hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying! We have figured out how to arrange photos amidst the text. But the art of posting larger photographs still eludes us.

    ReplyDelete