Sunday, August 2, 2009

Musee Marmottan Monet

Yesterday afternoon, Joe and I visited the Musee Marmottan to see the paintings of Claude Monet. It is a small museum housed in an old mansion in a rich district of Paris. There were very few people in the museum, so we got to get up close to all of Monet's works. To make the experience even more special, a pianist played a grand piano in the middle of the room while we walked about admiring Monet's genius. The paintings are so beautiful. I didn't realize that he suffered from severe cataracts on his eyes later in his life, and that he kept painting his beloved flowers all the same. Joe and I are planning to take a day trip out to Giverny where Monet spent the greater part of his life painting beloved garden.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that place. Isn't it just the best setting, like going into someone's rumpus room (OK I really rich friend's rumpus room, but hey) adn looking at the family's art collection. It is really a hidden treasure and in a lovely area. Did you eat at any of the little cafes on the street from the metro, they were reasonable and good.
    Living my life vicariously through you,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy that must have thrilled you to see those beautiful paintings. Thanks for sharing all this with us. Joe will be cooking up a storm trying out all those new pans when you get home. That was good shopping! - bringing home lots of memories. Keep enjoying!!!! Love from Irene Williams

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Monet's paintings! This is definitely going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monet was always my favourite painter when I learned about all the masters in high school. How amazing to see it all in 'real life'!

    ReplyDelete