Sunday, January 30, 2011

Snow Day

Our snowshoes

After breaking two bones in my left wrist after an ill-fated cross country skiing excursion in 2009, I decided to give up my nordic career and take up snowshoeing.  What a smart move that was!  If you can walk, you can snowshoe.  Even me!  For those of you who have never tried it, I highly recommend you do so before this winter is over.

In addition to snowshoes, we now have season's passes to the Olympic Park in the Callaghan Valley, which is situated halfway between Squamish and Whistler.  What a great legacy from the 2010 Olympic Winter Games this park is!  Miles and miles of trails in a breathtakingly beautiful valley.

The View of the Callaghan Valley from the Olympic Park Day Lodge

Not a bad spot to stop for a bite to eat

Yesterday we had the pleasure of taking Miss Molly and our friend Maytal out for a day of traipsing through this winter wonderland.  It was raining in here in Squamish, but snowing lightly in the Callaghan Valley.

Joe busting a move while driving the car

We listened to the Rolling Stones as we wended our way up the Sea-to-Sky Highway.  

Two of the cutest snowshoers EVER!

We donned our gear and were on our way!  Our plan was to meander through the meadows on fairly flat terrain. 

Heading out

The next thing we knew, we were following another couple into the woods on what (we learned later) was a black diamond expert trail.  It was straight uphill along a steep mountainside.  Thank God I had my Nordic poles to help me navigate the treacherous parts.  I have to admit, I was NOT loving this part of our adventure.

Climbing the 'expert' trail.  If you squint, you can see Maytal and Molly smack in the middle of the photo.

Such beauty....

I love these 'snow hoodoos'.  Big blobs of snow on top of a tree stump.

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

It started to snow during the final part of our hike.  We were warm, we were in the great outdoors, we were EXHAUSTED!

Happy snowshoers ready for lunch!

2 comments:

  1. That looks sooo cool (no pun intended)! I have been trying to talk Gerry into taking a drive to the Callaghan Valley to go traipse through the beauty. And I think Kirra would Love it! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like great fun day was had by all.Now I am off for a walk in Minnikada with my wonderful shih tzu Jasper(the cutest dog in port coquitlam) enjoy this lovely sunshine.

    ReplyDelete