Sunday, March 20, 2011

Two Idiots Abroad

Joe came home after work on Friday with a headache.  He never gets headaches.  I suggested he change out of his work clothes and go lay down  for a nap before we left for the airport.  He agreed.  As I passed him in the hallway on his way to the bedroom, I noticed the old T-shirt he'd changed into was inside out.  I mentioned it to him, but he didn't seem too concerned.  It was, after all, just a T-shirt to sleep in.

Fast forward to the airport.

We were taking the red-eye to New York City.  Our flight left at 11:00pm.  We were at the gate excited and ready to load.  Joe got pulled out of the line-up as he had been picked at random for a more thorough security search.  Lucky him!  He was told to take off his coat.  I almost died as I saw that he was still wearing his old green T-shirt and it was still INSIDE OUT!  The seams along the shoulders and arms were standing at attention and the backwards lettering stitched across his chest was in full bas relief.  I stood off to the side and killed myself laughing.

We finally got on the plane and settled in for the 4 hour and 22 minute flight.  It took us a while to get in the air because the airline had oversold the plane and they needed 4 volunteers to take another flight.  Believe me, that took time. 

I got so tired waiting for someone (ANYONE!) to take Cathay Pacific up on their offer!  By this time it was close to midnight and I couldn't keep my eyes open.  Finally, four people got off the plane and we could get on with it.

Halfway through the safety presentation, I fell asleep.

"What's wrong with that?" you may ask.  Plenty.

I am not a pretty sleeper.  Especially when I am sitting straight up.  My mouth tends to hang open....slack-jaw is a word that comes to mind.....and I snore.  Loudly.

I had made a deal with Joe on this flight.  If he, at anytime, saw me this way he was to wake me quickly.  Not that it would really help much.  Because all would I do is fall back to sleep and resume that hideous position.

Anyhoo.  There I was.  Asleep on the plane and it hadn't even left the tarmac.  The lights were all on.  The plane was packed.

The next thing I knew, my head was thrown back and an unholy roar emanated from my throat.  I woke up to a sound I had never heard before!  I was as startled as anyone.  I looked around at all the people staring at me.  I was mortified!  I dove for cover in Joe's shoulder.  It was now Joe's turn to kill himself laughing.

Like I said.  Two idiots abroad.

3 comments:

  1. that is hilarious. At least you got in a few zzzs before hitting the ground running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy I was the same on the beach in Mexico... sleeping soundly when this HUGE SNORT erupted out of my nasal passages and everyone was staring at me... Bruce was killing himself laughing! Shu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this....what a great laugh you just gave me!
    Tracy P

    ReplyDelete