Sunday, June 19, 2011

D.D.I.Y.

You have all heard of the acronym D.I.Y.  
As you know, it stands for "Do It Yourself".  As in 'home-projects-that-the-amateur-can-easily-do-for-him-or-herself'.  Well, my friends, around Chez Sotham, we have come up with another acronym....D.D.I.Y.

DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!

After owning our thirty year old house for 18 years, our back deck was rotting off of its moorings.  Literally.  So to prevent someone from plunging to their death this upcoming summer, we hired a contractor to build us a new deck.

If this 'before' picture doesn't scream "Sanford and Sons" 
what the hell does? 

Look at the back of our house at the beginning of the construction!  Good grief, we had to pull out a lot of crap from underneath it!
Talk about UGLY!

I wanted to document the hideousness of our house and deck so that we had something to compare the new deck to.  Oh my God...anything would be an improvement over that monstrosity!

Off come the rotting floorboards.

"And they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly....."

Ahhh...that's better!  What an improvement already.

Constructing the forms.

Pouring concrete into the forms.

The deck structure being built.

Hard at work.

The deck floor is on!

Waiting for the rains to stop so the Duradeck guy can come and apply the flooring.

The Duradeck flooring is on!

The stairs and landing being built.

The stairs are done!

The railing is on!!!!!!

The stair railings are on!

I LOVE MY NEW DECK!


"Now, if I can just squeeze my body through these railings, I can easily escape by climbing down the trunk of this tree!"

Celebrating with a martini and a B&B.

Just a wee bit of an improvement eh?

There is still a little bit of plastering and painting that Joe has to do.  And of course we must get ourselves some fabulous patio furniture.

If you live in the Sea-to-Sky area and are in need of an uber-professional contractor, please give Marcel a call.  He and his crew are friendly, punctual, on time and on budget.  Just don't book him this fall, as we want him to renovate our kitchen for us.

Marcel Lanter
Markor Construction
604.898.1765

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I took that photo during the winter when the house was at its ugliest. Pretty brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wonderful and snazzy and i have seen it for myself and love it looking forward to memories on the new deck.....aka wild dance parties count me in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing job and the diary of the event is very good too nanc.
    Was that all done in one day? kidding.
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a really lovely space that I plan to enjoy many happy moments on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new deck looks really great! Hopefully some time this summer I'll come up for backyard hang outs!

    Danelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! I can't wait for summer visits!

    ReplyDelete