Sunday, August 7, 2011

Les Fleurs

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) the French appreciate beauty. And one of the ways their appreciation is expressed is through flowers.


Honestly, I have never seen so many flowers in one country! Especially outside the big cities.


There is not a nook or cranny without a terra-cotta pot of geraniums adorning it.


There are flowers on windowsills, on bridge railings, on lamp posts. There are flowers on stone pillars, stone walls, stone steps. Everywhere you look there are flowers.


I've seen flowers growing in the most unlikeliest places. In car repair shops, bus stops, dead end alley ways.


Everywhere you look in this country, there are flowers.


I'd like to know (maybe I'll google it later) how many bedding plants are grown for French consumption?


Yet another thing I love about the French. They know beauty when they see it. And they surround themselves with it.

2 comments:

  1. With all the wine consumption and seeing all those flowers how can anyone be anything but happy! That's IT! I'm going to Paris!!
    ~ jo xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always commented on how, even in the run down not so great neighbourhoods, everyone has flower boxes and planters. I few geraniums can do a lot.

    ReplyDelete