Saturday, February 25, 2012

Gettin' Closer

I know I sound like a broken record when I keep repeating the same statement "We're getting closer to the end of this renovation!"  But it's true.  We are getting closer.

But before we get started on the tour, here's a photo of my Valentine bouquet from Joe.  Still going strong 11 days later.

I love green and white together.

Here's what's been happening in the house of Sotham:

The free-standing gas fireplace has now been fully installed in the basement TV room.  Except it won't stay lit for some reason.  Even the gas guys can't seem to figure it out.  Oh well, back to the drawing board!  I'm sure they'll get the logistics figured out in time for spring.

Cold stove

Joe decided he'd help Nathan out by insulating the foundation where my built-in bookshelf is going to be in the TV room.  Hmmmm.  I told Joe it looked like a construction murder scene.

Joe's handiwork.  Nice job, Joe!
                                                              Drops of deliciousness.  

The good news is that Big Bertha is finally up and running!  A repairman came last Tuesday and replaced the faulty lever and removed two errant O rings from her innards that were wreaking havoc with her plumbing.

Joe has been drinking so much coffee it isn't even funny.  "Just one more" is his newest phrase.

"I'll just sneak in one more espresso before I drive to work."

Keeping the crew happy.

Drywall dust has gotten into and onto everything.  The other morning I had an hour to spare before I went to school, so I decided to clean the top shelf of the linen closet.  I had to get a footstool and reach waaaay back to pull stuff out that hadn't seen the light of day in decades.

We found a neck brace from when I slipped down a set of stairs and gave myself whiplash 15 years ago, and a plastic cone that one of our cats had to wear after a long-ago operation.  Nothing like modelling these items at 6 o'clock in the morning AND THEN TAKING A PICTURE OF OURSELVES!

Two idiots.  Plain and simple.

The hardwood is now on the stairs.  It is beautiful.  Absolutely beautiful.


Toby is the man who made all the hardwood happen.

With the upstairs pretty much finished, now all that is left to do is the basement TV room.

Construction zone.

All ready for the carpet to be laid on Wednesday.

I am looking forward to the day that tools do not grace my living room.


Joe and I needed to get out of the house today because Ray was painting our living room ceiling.  I ask you:  "Who in their right mind has the ceiling painted after the renovation is complete?"  Us, that's who.

Anyway, we decided to drive into the city this afternoon to do some furniture shopping.  We are still in need of an area rug, an end table, a table lamp and a floor lamp for the living room.  We did not find an end table we loved.  We did find an area carpet that we loved (and we did not buy) and a table lamp we loved (and did not buy).  We didn't even look for a floor lamp.

Joe fell in love with this Calvin Klein area carpet called 'Estuary Sand'.  
Only $2,600.00 for a 5'x7' rug.

I fell in love with this table lamp.

And that, my friends, is that.  I will leave you with a little ditty that I teach my class every February:

This was the view from my back deck this morning.

Oh, February is the shortest month,
But the nicest month of all,
Though fluttering snowflakes fill the air,
A promise of spring is everywhere!

Enjoy your Saturday night everybody!  And your Sunday too!





1 comment:

  1. I taught my class your little ditty on Thursday Nanc. Great pics Shu

    ReplyDelete