Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mushrooms Make Life Marvellous


In the 1980s there was a television commercial that featured a local Vancouver chef bubbling, "Money's mushrooms make meals marvellous."  He brought mushrooms to the masses.  It was a real treat to eat mushrooms that didn't come out of a tin.  I remember my mom buying fresh button mushrooms only on very special occasions.  They certainly weren't an everyday occurrence when I was growing up.

Mushrooms have fascinated me for decades.  All mushrooms.  So colourful.  So dangerous.  So delicious.

Last autumn, our friend 'The Mushroom Whisperer' invited Joe and I to join him in the forest to hunt chanterelles.  We had such a wonderful time.  I could hardly wait for the rains to fall this season so we could go out again to Rick's secret spot.




There is something special about being in the west coast rainforest.  It is so quiet.  Everything, and I mean everything is blanketed in mosses.  It is magical.




I searched high and low for chanterelles.  I tromped over my fair share of rotten logs and under low-hanging tree branches this afternoon.  I found a few nice ones.


Of course, the mushroom whisperer founds scads of chanterelles.  Because that is what he does.  He is a natural.


Not only did he find scores of chanterelles, he also found his first ever cauliflower mushroom! 


When the chanterelles eluded me, I spent my time taking photos of other mushrooms on the forest floor.



There is something to be said for spending an afternoon with Mother Nature.  It made us happy.



Heading home with his haul.


Thank you Rick and Joanne for showing us another amazing day in the woods.  I can hardly wait to taste the fruits of our labour.  

Mushrooms (and friends) make meals (and life) marvellous.



No comments:

Post a Comment